Frequently Asked Questions
HOW IS PIB® DATA USED?
Advertisers look to PIB® to see what mix of advertising is appearing in the magazines of interest and/or for competitive intelligence.
Ad agencies rely on PIB® to show them where competitive brand and category magazine advertising ran and to what extent.
Publishers use PIB® data to identify sales opportunities through mutual and exclusive reports, track competitive market share, and compile sales reports.
Financial companies use advertising data to produce trends and to judge publishing growth opportunities.
HOW IS AD DATA REPORTED?
Pursuant to a licensing arrangement with the MPA, Kantar Media compiles, verifies and reports magazine advertising data for PIB® measured publications.
Kantar Media provides web-based access to a variety of historical reported revenue and page count data that can be classified by brand, parent company, advertising category and individual publication. Custom solutions are also available.
In addition, Kantar Media identifies magazine advertising appearing in the U.S.-circulated portion of regularly scheduled issues, additional/bonus issues, magazine supplements, special advertising sections, inserts and outserts Because of its exclusive partnership with PIB®, each member publication provides Kantar Media with their less-than-full-run (regional and demographic-placed) advertisements. This is a competitive advantage over other firms that capture only what they see in a less precise manner.
PIB® reports all paid advertising in its member publications. House ads, and donated space (public service), are not credited in the service. All full-run revenues reported are based on current gross one-time rates, allowing for color, bleed and cover premiums, but not production/mechanical premiums, frequency or volume discounts, or commissions.
Each member publication is required to supply Kantar Media with a current rate card and digital representation of the magazine and provide detailed information about each advertisement in the issue. Electronic tear sheets of all ads appearing in regional and demographic editions are also required.
All submitted advertising appearing in PIB® measured publications, regardless of unit size or type, must have the advertiser’s name or brand name or the word “advertising”, “advertisement”, “promotion”, or “promotional” readily identifiable in the advertisement.
To submit advertising appearing in new magazine products that are not currently measured by PIB®, such as magazine line extensions distributed to host magazine subscribers, please contact PIB® 90 days in advance of publication. By submitting products in advance, PIB® can work with you to ensure that qualified advertising is properly counted and reported in a timely manner.
The PIB® Technical Advisory Committee and Kantar Media meet as needed to modify or improve specifications. Interested parties that have questions or suggestions regarding the counting of paid advertising in the PIB® service may request a review by the committee.
HOW IS ADVERTISING MEASURED BY PIB®?
A Regular Issue is defined as any issue of a publication that is distributed to the publication’s entire circulation. This includes issues appearing in a magazine’s rate card at the beginning of the year, as well as any additional/bonus issues that may be distributed to the publication’s entire circulation. Additionally, Regular Issues must carry a specific issue date.
All Other Issues is defined as any issue of a publication (additional/bonus issues and regularly scheduled issues included) that is distributed to anything less than the publication’s entire circulation. All Other Issues must contain editorial and advertising content, the name of the host magazine (in the form of the logo) and an issue date on the cover, and be distributed to some portion of the host magazine’s circulation. Publications must supply Kantar Media with an actual month and date to indicate when the data is to be reported. All Other Issues does not include anything classified as a supplement, Insert or Outsert.
Supplements carry both advertising and editorial, and are delivered with – but not bound into an issue of the host publication. Supplements must carry the name(s) of the host magazine(s) on the cover, not necessarily in the form of the logo, and be distributed to some portion of the host magazine’s circulation.
Outserts are sometimes referred to as “Onserts” or “Unserts” and must have only one sponsor. Outserts, like Supplements are delivered with – but not bound into – an issue of the host publication.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR PIB® MEMBERSHIP?
- Any consumer magazines published at least quarterly are eligible for measurement.
- Membership in MPA is not a requirement to be included in PIB®, but MPA members enjoy reduced membership fees for PIB®.
- Applicants must be elected to membership by a majority vote of the PIB® Technical Advisory Committee. Membership is available on a calendar year basis. Publications joining the service after June 1st in a given year will be assessed a half membership fee for that year. There are no rebates for leaving the service during a membership year.
- Membership in PIB® is required of all publications desiring to be reported in the Publishers Information Bureau (PIB®) service.
- Current annual dues are $2,000 per title for MPA members and $4,250 for non-MPA member titles (provides one year of measurement, a subscription to the Advance Magazine Totals, which are monthly reports providing ad pages and expenditures by magazine title in various formats, a copy of the PIB® Advertising Guidelines Manual and related training, and access to the PIB® Technical Advisory Committee review process.
- New members published at least quarterly, also pay a one-time initiation fee directly to Kantar Media (currently $2,750) in addition to the first year’s dues to PIB®.
- Member titles with less than 4 issues per year should inquire for applicable rates.
- Because the PIB® Service publishes comparative year data, all new members having published in the previous year are required to provide the prior year’s issues for measurement.
- There is a small per advertisement charge for measuring new members’ prior year issues.
WHAT KINDS OF PIB® DATA CAN BE GENERATED USING KANTAR MEDIA SUBSCRIPTION SERVICES?
Advertisers, agencies, magazine publishers and others may subscribe to Kantar Media products and services. Subscription fees vary by product. Please contact Kantar Media at 212.991.6087, for more information.
- Page and expenditure gain/loss trending capabilities for 10+ years across publications, products and/or categories.
- Ranking options to identify leaders in ad paging or revenue by publication, company, subsidiary, brand or across all levels of the PIB® classifications.
- Management reports based on sales account assignments or sales territories for an individual magazine
- Share of market reports that will show what a publication, product or category’s percentage (%) share based against its competitors.
- “Mutually exclusive” reporting allows for prospecting accounts that are advertising within a competitive set of publications.
- Brand and publication detail reports provide in-depth views on magazine page positioning, ad type and ad color for a particular publication issue or an advertiser.
- Access to various multi-media advertisements.
- Comprehensive multi-media advertising information across 22 media:
Consumer Magazines Syndicated TV
Sunday Magazines Spot TV
Local Magazines Spanish language TV
Hispanic Magazines Outdoor
B to B Magazines Network Radio
Tablets National Spot Radio
Local Newspapers Local Radio
National Newspapers Internet Display
Hispanic Newspapers Internet Paid Search
Network TV Branded Entertainment
Cable TV Online Video
- Aggregation ability of media properties (including magazines and their web-site counterparts) for multiple comparison purposes.
ELECTRONIC PRODUCTS FOR MAGAZINES THAT INCORPORATE PIB® DATA
DirectHEAT: An account management system designed for media sales and marketing professionals. DirectHEAT will assist you in the management of your active accounts and prospects as well as help you identify new prospects and opportunities. Based on your Personal Roadmap which includes your properties, accounts/prospects and competitive set, numbers are crunched, graphs and charts are created, shares-of-market are produced, competitive analyses are generated and brand contact information is obtainable. Insights are downloadable into Excel as well as presentation-ready PowerPoint document. Sharing information is made easy by providing the ability to print and email information in one-click throughout DirectHEAT.
MagAdvisor: The premier information tool for publishers and research professionals, MagAdvisor delivers a full-page view of the consumer magazine marketplace. Its dynamic database, updated nightly, gives access to the most current information, and includes access to 10 years of PIB® Magazine detailed level information. Page and expenditure information is available on more than 350 historical PIB® member publications, with links to print creative that can be downloaded for your strategic needs. Find out who is advertising, where and at what cost in consumer and Sunday magazines. From your market share and client’s budget allocation to new sales prospects and more, MagAdvisor delivers the magazine insights that help you achieve sales and marketing goals.
Stradegy: The research tool of reference for multimedia media planning and buying across the advertising industry. Track the latest advertising activity to create cost-effective strategies based on detailed competitive insights customized around your needs. This flexible application allows you to zoom in from top-level overview to highly-granular detail. It provides comprehensive advertising information on over 3 million brands across 22 media covering $140 billion in advertising expenditures.
Ad$pender: Provides a fast, top-level summary of the multi-media advertising marketplace. This web-based tool spans five years of national summary spending trends for 18 measured media, accessible by industry, parent company, and brand. Data is available via customizable reports with easy data exporting abilities to popular spreadsheet and flowchart programs.
For further information about subscribing to DirectHeat, MagAdvisor, Ad$pender, Stradegy or for PIB® Customized reports, please contact:
Director, Magazine Sales
11 Madison Avenue, 12th Floor
New York, N.Y. 10010
For further information about PIB® membership, contact:
©2013 Magazine Publishers of America, Inc.
PIB® is a registered trademark of Magazine Publishers of America, Inc.
American Society of Magazine Editors
To ensure editorial integrity and to protect reader interests, PIB® encourages publishers to also adhere to ASME advertising standards.